Amalgam fillings are made up of liquid mercury and a powdered alloy consisting of silver, copper, and tin. These are used to fill up the dental cavities caused due to tooth decay.
Amalgam fillings are a good option as they are cheap and durable.
There are a few better options available than amalgam fillings. However, a Buffalo Grove, Illinois dentist can help you find out the best option for you.
In this blog, we have mentioned all the pros and cons of amalgam and fillings. After reading these pros and cons, you can decide whether you should or should not go for amalgam fillings.
Advantages of an Amalgam filling.
Some common advantages of amalgam fillings include:
- Durable: The materials used to make amalgam fillings are very durable and can withstand a lot of wear and tear. An amalgam filling lasts for almost ten years. In some cases, it may last even more.
- Affordable: Amalgam fillings are a preferred option as these are very cost-effective. People who want quick recovery and long-lasting results can opt for an amalgam filling.
- Prevents future cavities: The edges of the tooth adjacent to the amalgam filling become resistant to the cavities. If you suffer from cavities frequently, then an amalgam filling can help reduce the chances of future cavities.
- Long-lasting: Usually, an amalgam filling lasts for 10-12 years. After this, you may require a replacement.
Disadvantages of an amalgam filling.
If you are looking for a budget-friendly solution for cavities, amalgam fillings are a good solution. However, amalgam fillings have a few disadvantages over other dental fillings. These are as follows:
- Tooth discoloration: An amalgam filling is a silver filling, and it gets darker as time passes. This is why people use amalgam filling for teeth in the back of the mouth. The amalgam filling can also lead to staining around the filling. To remove the staining, the dentist first has to remove the filling rather than the stain.
- Tooth weakening: To install an amalgam filling, some tooth part has to be removed. This can lead to weakening or damage of the tooth. However, the damage can be covered with the filling, but the weakening cannot be reversed.
- Tooth sensitivity: Many patients report increased sensitivity after an amalgam filling decor mirror online. The most probable reason is that the metal used to make the amalgam reacts to the different temperatures in the mouth and causes sensitivity.
Now that you know the most common advantages and disadvantages of amalgam filling, you can decide on your dental filling. However, you can contact your dentist to get expert advice for your dental filling.