Amongst all the mayhem of taking care of the skin and hair and getting that makeup on point, one can easily overlook taking care of their lips. While we all love wearing beautiful lip colours, no lip shade, be it bright, vibrant, pastel, or nude, can create the perfect pout if we fail to take care of our lips. And come winters, chapped lips can just be a nightmare.
The skin on our lips is much thinner than the skin on other parts of the body. This makes it easier for them to get dry and cracked. Hence, it is very important to take good care of our lips. Here are the best tips for taking care of your lips.
- Exfoliate your lips: Removing the dry and dead skin flakes from your chapped lips is very important to nourish them further. You can use a good quality lip scrub to gently scrub the dead skin away. Alternatively, you can use a wet, soft toothbrush or washcloth to gently brush the dead skin away. However, make sure you are super gentle with your lips. Do this once a week to get soft and luscious lips. Ensure you do this when you are not going out right away to avoid any sensitivity to the lips.
- Hydrate your lips: Our lips do not contain any oil glands and tend to dry out and get chapped easily. Hence, it is very important to drink lots of water and keep yourself hydrated to keep the lips from drying out. You should also avoid licking your lips as it also saps the moisture.
- Protect and moisturize your lips: Lips tend to receive a lot of sun exposure and are a common spot for skin cancers. Your daytime lip product must include an SPF 15 or higher sunscreen. In your night-time routine, switch to a moisturizing product for your lips to help combat any night-time dryness. Try and give your lips as much hydration and moisturization as you can in the night-time.
- Reapply often: Like any other sunscreen, for effective protection from the sun, it is important that you reapply the sun-protective lip product every two hours, and especially after drinking or eating. It is a good idea to keep your SPF lip balm in various places. Keep one at your desk, in your purse, in your nightstand, in your bathroom, and any other place that you think you will find handy to reapply often. This will not just keep your lips moisturized and protected but will also be an excuse to experiment with different brands and products.
- Make sure you use the right products: As the skin on our lips is thinner and can get sensitive, it is vital that you only use good quality products on your lips. Make sure all your lip care balms have an SPF and are sun protective. Additionally, always wear lip crayons and lipsticks that aren’t too drying or mattifying to further dry up your lips. Look for formulas that contain oils and are nourishing for your lips.
Now that you know it all, show your beautiful lips some love and indulge in the aromatic and juicy world of lip care. Health & Glow features a great and incomparable collection of lip products like lip scrub, lip balm, lip stain, lipsticks, lip crayons, lip tints, etc., from a variety of brands. You can browse through the entire collection and choose the products you would like to.