How do you prove ownership of the vehicle (that it is yours)?

If the vehicle is new, the documents that constitute proof of vehicle title will be the following:

  1. Document of Origin issued by the manufacturer
    • Manufacturer’s statement of origin
  2. If the transaction was carried out outside of Puerto Rico, the seller’s invoice must be notarized, with an authenticated signature. 
  3. Any other document that the Secretary deems necessary to establish ownership, as established by the regulations

If the car comes from another state that also uses the title system, you must provide the title. Said title must have:

  • The name of the applicant
  • Identify if the title was transferred or if there is any lien
  • If there is a lien, you must:
    • The lien must appear canceled, or
    • Include a certification from the entity that financed the purchase of the vehicle, stating its authorization for it to be transferred to Puerto Rico
    • The person must pay the Secretary the corresponding money 
  • If you do not have a title, you must file an application before the Court of First Instance for an authorization with the Public Ministry
  • If the car comes from a state or country that does not use the title system, the Registration Document, with the State seal and the Bill of Sale, recognized by a notary or notary public with signature, is necessary.
  • If it was bought at auction, a Public Auction Document is necessary that duly identifies the authorized auctioneer.
  • Certificate of Assignment- Certificate of release
  • Insurance company sales document
  • Any other document that the Secretary finds sufficient, as established by the regulations, to prove ownership of the vehicle
  • For a certificate of title to be issued, it is necessary to present a receipt or supporting document stating that the corresponding taxes for that vehicle have been paid to the Secretary of the Department of the Treasury. These taxes arise by law and vary between vehicles by type, brand, cost, ect. 
  • The vehicle must be registered. Once the registration is accepted by the Secretary, he or she will issue the owner a certificate of title.