How to get the work visa for Australia?

The work visa for Australia:

Unfortunately there is no single and simple Work Visa for Australia, but many different types of visas, depending on age, profession, years of experience, qualifications and more. For a temporary work visa you must refer to the Working Holiday Visa (full time work, but for a maximum of 6 months for the same employer). Then there is the visa Sponsor: the employer offers a contract to an employee who has the characteristics required by the Department in terms of experience, English and qualifications and for this he obtains a work visa for 2 or 4 years. This visa has changed its name and type, starting from March 2018. It is now called TSS – Temporary Skill Shortage (subclass 482) Finally, there is the General Skilled Migration Scheme, a scoring program for those who want to emigrate to Australia. Beautiful to say, but the truth is that it is very difficult to meet the requirements.

The skilled visa for Australia:

The skilled visa, also known as a skilled independent visa, is a permanent visa and is therefore one of the most coveted visas and therefore also one of the most difficult to obtain. The most requested is subclass 189, but in reality there are various types of skilled visa that vary according to the state in which they are applied for and the presence or absence of an employer involved in the project. Each case is unique and for a skilled visa Australia it is always best to consult a migration agent.

The number one requirement is that your profession is on the Combined List of Eligible Skilled Occupations categorized as a Medium and Long-term Strategic Skill, the one that includes the most requested professions in Australia. Then you have to go through a skills assessment, a sort of recognition of your qualifications and years of experience. It is also necessary to achieve a good, if not excellent, level of English. It is a points visa and it is usually necessary to reach a score of 60 in order to finally apply for the visa. Points are awarded based on age, work experience, qualifications, and more.

In principle it is a visa suitable for those who have: excellent level of English, less than 35 years, at least three years of work experience and a diploma or a degree in one of the professions listed on the SOL list, such as engineer, doctor, chef, carpenter …

The Sponsor Visa:


Sponsor Visa (now known as TSS Temporary Skill Shortage) is a temporary visa that allows a skilled worker to live and work in Australia for a specific government approved employer for up to 4 years.

The requirements to be eligible for sponsorship are different: your profession must be nominated in the Combined List of Eligible Skilled Occupations. It is also necessary to have an English level of 5 IELTS and have the profile and curriculum required by current regulations.

Likewise, the employer must be able to demonstrate that they are unable to find an Australian citizen capable of filling the same position. Usually most of the sponsorships for Italian citizens are issued to workers in the restaurant or construction world, these fields being where we usually excel.

It is a visa with a maximum duration of 4 years (2 + 2 years). The cost of this visa is higher than those previously mentioned, and can vary. It is also advisable to be assisted by a registered Immigration Agent, as the procedure is quite complicated.

The permanent visa for Australia:


The Permanent Residence is the Holy Grail of visas. The long-dreamed permanent visa that can be obtained through different paths, some of which are:

After a Skilled visa is approved, then you will automatically get the option to work full time as a resident.
After 4 years of work in a profession present in the Medium Long Term Strategic Skill, under sponsor.
In the same way it can be obtained after a Partner Visa (subclass 820 and 801) ie if your partner has Australian citizenship.
To understand more, it is often essential to consult with an immigration agent or with Just Australia in case you need general information on life in Australia, on the student visa or simply a contact with a study of prepared migration agents. For Spouse Visa Consultation click here.

It is also important to carefully read the official website of the Department, which is very well done and where you can find a complete list of all existing visas for Australia: The one proposed above is a sort of summary that aims to explain the most commonly requested visas, but of course it is not intended to be a complete guide, nor advice on what to do.