Melatonin side effects
The human body needs sleep and rest as equally as it needs other things for a living. A night of good quality sleep is important for good health. Health is directly affected by the sleeping pattern.
Modern life has highly impacted the sleep cycle of the body. The pressure of having a work-life balance has lead to acute sleeping problems. Due to high stress levels, people are not able to have a sound sleep which causes sleeping disorder in them. A very common sleeping disorder found in people is Insomnia. People having Insomnia find it really hard to fall asleep. Insomnia really disturbs the body’s sleeping cycle. Such people do not feel fresh after waking up. This problem worsens with time if not treated. Due to this reason, it is required to take a kind of supplement that is helpful in inducing sleep. One such common supplement which is easily available in the market is Melatonin. It is commonly used to treat insomnia in people.
Melatonin is a type of hormone which is helpful in controlling the sleep and wake cycle. The pineal gland in the brain produces the melatonin hormone. This hormone signals the body when it should fall asleep and head to the bed. As it is a naturally produced hormone in the body, when a sufficient amount of it is not produced by the body it is taken as a supplement in the form of tablets or capsules. Melatonin affects the sleeping behaviour of the human body. It is seen that people who cannot fall asleep easily have low levels of melatonin in their body, due to which it is advised to take melatonin from external sources i.e in medicinal form. Melatonin as a supplement is considered helpful in improving the sleep disturbance factors. This is also commonly known as the name of sleep hormone. High levels of melatonin in the body help in sleeping on time and waking up on time.
People can take melatonin even without a doctors prescription. Taking melatonin as a supplement helps in managing the body’s internal clock.
This type of medication does not become habitual when consumed over time, unlike other medications which can cause addiction. Even its effect is slowly diminished after using repetitively. But still, it is believed to cause some side effects. Common side effects seen in people are-
- Stomach cramps
Although these are commonly seen in people it has some adverse side effects after continuous usage.
Side effects of Melatonin are as follows-
1) Too much consumption of melatonin causes blood pressure fluctuations in the body. It raises the blood pressure in people who are already taking medications to control their blood pressure.
2) It is believed that people also experience various joint pains after consuming this medication. The joint pain hinders the daily performance levels.
3) People also experience the problem of diarrhoea with its regular usage.
4) This medication is believed to interfere and counter the performance of various other medications also for example medications used to treat diabetes and immune system disorder.
5) It can also hamper the recovery period of people who have undergone an organ transplant.
6) The regular usage of melatonin also causes thinning of the blood.
7) Melatonin also causes daytime fatigue in people. People feel drowsiness and are tired all day long.
8) People sometimes also experience abdominal cramps after consuming this medication over time.
9) Consuming melatonin also leads to heart palpitations.
10) It is seen that melatonin also causes confusion and lack of alertness among people.
It is advised to consult your doctors before taking melatonin as it has various adverse effects on the body. The health concerns should be discussed with your physician in order to minimise the side effects.
Melatonin is no magic pill to have the sleep of your dreams, it can sometimes prove to be harmful. It is always advised to sleep without taking any pills but you should always take melatonin pills only on the prescription of the doctors. It can cause serious health issues if taken without any prescription.
See More Details: Roncuvita Health Supplement