Despite the widespread belief that exposure to Stachybotrys mold is a serious health concern, no convincing research suggests that exposure to mold causes conditions such as cancer or lung disease. Thus mold testing is important as mold can affect people in different ways, and generally does not cause any symptoms. Some symptoms are common if you are sensitive to mold.
Health problems caused by toxic mold
Mold disease is a fungal attack associated with the toxic substance called mycotoxin, which is typically a spore-like product of mold, which can enter a human system and can be neurotoxic.
The population is most likely to be infected with Stachybotrys mold disease are infants, children, the elderly, people with weakened immune systems, and pregnant women.
Molds are fungi invisible to the naked eye. They can form colonies in various places in a building if they are present:
- excess water or humidity;
- sufficient nutrients such as cardboard or drywall.
When present in small areas and cleaned up quickly, mold is usually not a particular problem. On the other hand, when they develop significantly, molds disperse particles into the ambient air that can be breathed in and which can cause health problems.
Sick building syndrome: indoor air quality in Toronto
You may be suffering from mold allergy symptoms, even without mold in your home, office, or anywhere you spend time.
One of the main causes of the syndrome of the sick building is the mycotoxins from the toxic mold and spores spread rapidly especially for air conditioners.
They can also fly into your home or workplace from outside or because mold previously had grown in the area and left behind a build-up of spores.
Mold testing can be done to find out the number of spores in the air.
When to consult
If you believe that your symptoms or those experienced by members of your family may be caused by the presence of mold, consult a health professional.
People at risk
Some people are at greater risk of developing health problems from exposure to molds. Those are:
- people with allergies;
- people with asthma or chronic respiratory diseases;
- infants and young children;
- people with a weakened immune system, for example, due to chemotherapy treatment or a recent organ transplant.
Protection and prevention
You can take certain precautions to avoid exposing yourself to mold and developing related health problems.
It is important to prevent the growth of mold in the house and to know how to recognize it when it is present. To do this:
- regularly inspect the different rooms of your home and repair any damage or water infiltration. Clean and dry as quickly as possible, i.e. within 24 to 48 hours.
- adequately ventilate your home, especially during activities that produce a lot of humidity, such as bathing, showering, and cooking.
Are you sensitive to mold?
If you or a loved one experiences some or all of the above symptoms, you may have a hypersensitivity or allergy to mold. Additionally, if you notice that your symptoms fade or go away when you go out or spend a few days elsewhere, you should inspect your entire home for mold patches. An analysis of the air quality in your home could confirm that your health problems are indeed due to the presence of mold.
By doing mold testing in Bowie you will be able to know if there is good air quality based on the level of spores in your home and find out if any allergies you may have is the fault of mold or some other cause.
Mold can seriously degrade the quality of life and health and it becomes necessary to treat the problem at the source.