Omega 3 Fish oil, usually available from fatty or oily fish such as salmon and sardines, contains nutrients including vitamin A and vitamin D. However, the most important ingredient in Omega 3 fish oil. These essential fatty acids are distilled from the oil and provided as supplements.
While experts recommend consuming fatty or oily fish at least 2-3 times per week to improve heart health, protect brain function, and support fetal development, most people don’t adhere to this recommendation.
In this article, you’ll learn more about Omega 3 fish oil and its benefits.
What’s in a Fish Oil?
Fish oils usually contain a variety of nutrients, such as vitamin A and vitamin D. The amount of these nutrients, however, can be toxic.
So we distill out the omega 3 fatty acids from fish oil, as you can get the other nutrients from other food sources.
Types of Omega-3 fatty acids include:
- ALA (Alpha-linoleic acid)
- EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid)
- DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid)
In contrast to EPA and DHA, which are active forms of omega-3, ALA is first converted to EPA or DHA and then used by the body. The conversion, however, leads to loss of most of the fatty acid. And this is why consuming omega 3 from fish oil is better than from vegan sources.
Omega 3 Fish Oil Benefits
Research links omega-3 to many health benefits. Below, we’ve detailed these health benefits, which are great reasons for you to include omega-3 supplement in your diet.
Good for Heart
As unsaturated fatty acids, omega-3s can reduce inflammation in the body. Chronic inflammation is linked to many modern day illnesses such as heart disease and cancer.
Omega 3 fatty acids provide the following health benefits for the heart:
- Decrease levels of triglycerides and LDL “Bad” cholesterol
- Slightly lower blood pressure
- Reduce irregular heartbeats
- Reduce blood clotting and plaque formation in arteries
Improved Mental Health
Since both EPA and DHA are major components in the brain, they have the ability to improve our mental health. While DHA is more important in the neuronal membrane, EPA aids with important physiological functions impacting both the central and the peripheral nervous systems.
Here are the mental health benefits offered by omega-3 fatty acids:
- Can reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety
- May slow down age related mental decline
- Can be effective against Alzheimer’s disease and dementia
- May help to control ADHD symptoms in children
Fights Chronic Inflammation
Scientists have linked chronic inflammation to many diseases such as:
- Heart disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Migraine headaches
- Ulcerative colitis
As a potent anti-inflammatory agent, omega 3 fatty acids can lower the levels of inflammation in your body and decrease the production of cytokines and reactive oxygen.
By doing so, they can:
- Lower the risk of autoimmune diseases, such as multiple sclerosis
- Reduce liver fat
- Help with symptoms of asthma
- Improve and maintain eye health
Effective for Joint Pain
Arthritis patients are generally recommended to take omega-3 fatty acids, as they can reduce the reliance on NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), which have serious long term side effects, such as digestive system disorders.
Plays Key Role in Brain Development of Fetus and Infants
Omega 3 fatty acids, especially DHA, are essential for the brain development of a fetus. That’s why doctors recommend that women of childbearing age consume 200mg/day of DHA.
Further, consumption of omega 3 in infants has been linked to better cognitive abilities in relation to their peers.
Roncuvita’s Omega 3 Fish Oil Benefits
There’s a lot of fish out in the sea and a lot of fish oil supplements in the market. However, Roncuvita’s omega-3 fish oil supplements offers the following benefits:
- Available in Different Strengths: Choose according to the amount of EPA and DHA you’d like in your supplement.
- Safety: We provide evidence of safety. Further, our supplements are free of environmental pollutants such as:
- Heavy metals (lead, mercury, and arsenic)
- PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls)
- Enteric coated: Enteric coated nature of our supplement prevents:
- Fishy aftertaste
- Fishy breath
- Affordable: Our health supplements offer both quality and affordability.
As the most consumed supplement in the United States, fish oil offers a host of benefits, such as better heart and joint health. It can enhance your mental health and lower inflammation in the body. If you don’t consume fatty or oily fish at least 2-3 times per week, then it will be a great idea to include omega 3 fatty acids supplements in your diet today.
- Is omega 3 a weight loss supplement?
- No, omega-3 isn’t a weight loss supplement. However, it can help reduce the levels of triglycerides, the form in which most fats in the body are stored.
- Is omega 3 bad for my health?
- No. Omega 3 is a well tolerated supplement and an essential fatty acid, which needs to be consumed through diet. But if you’re on a medication, then consult your doctor before taking any health supplements.
- Should I take vegan omega 3 or this one?
- Vegan omega 3 contains ALA, which is converted to EPA and DHA. However, only a small amount is finally converted by the body. That’s why consuming fish oil from EPA and DHA is recommended.
- Does this supplement contain mercury?
- No. All heavy metals such as mercury are removed from the oil before creating the supplement.