TP-Link is one of the leading brands when it comes to networking devices. It makes products like routers, wifi extender, powerline adapter, mesh wifi system, and many more. This article will talk about the wifi extender and its setup process. TP-Link wifi extender is a network expansion device that connects to the router and extends the wifi signals of your router.
Key Features of TP-Link Extender:
- It uses dual-band technology which helps you to extend both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.
- Compact and easy-to-use design. It is plug and play device and very easy to set up.
- OneMesh Technology – Some of the model numbers support the OneMesh feature which leads you to use a single wifi name in the entire house. OneMesh feature is ideal when you have a lot of devices and you don’t want to switch between two networks.
- It provides you great speed so that you can use lag-free internet on your device. It is ideal for HD video streaming and the ultimate gaming experience.
Ways to Setup TP-Link WiFi Extender:
There are three ways you can set up your TP-Link extender. Following are the methods:-
- Setup with WPS button
- Setup using web URL http://tplinkrepeater.net/
- Setup using Ethernet cable
Setup with WPS button
This is the easiest way to set up the TP-Link extender. All you need to do is just press the WPS button on the router as well as the extender. It will take some time to establish the connection between the router and the extender. Sometimes, it does not work it may be because you don’t have a physical button on your router or it is disabled from the router settings. If this is the case, you need to enable it by login into your router. Once, it is enabled you need to repeat the WPS process and your extender will be configured.
Setup using web URL http://tplinkrepeater.net
First of all, http://tplinkrepeater.net is the default URL for the setup process. You can also use the default IP address 192.168.0.254 instead of the default URL. Before you follow the instructions for the setup, make sure you reboot your modem and router. After that, you can start doing the setup.
Follow the steps below to complete the TP-Link setup process:
- First of all, plug your tplinkrepeater into the power outlet and wait for the light to be solid.
- Use your devices such as a computer or mobile phone and connect them to the extender’s wifi (TP-Link Extender_EXT).
- Now, type http://tplinkrepeater.net or 192.168.0.254 in the address bar of your web browser.
- It will take you to the login screen, here you can create your login password for the future login and click on NEXT. (It is not the wifi password)
- After clicking on NEXT, select your wifi that you would like to extend and enter the password for it.
- Finally, after typing the password, click on Extend.
- It will take few seconds to apply the settings and after that, you suppose to get 2 solid lights on it (Power and Signal).
Setup using Ethernet cable
This method is pretty similar to the web URL method. The only difference is that you need to use the ethernet cable. In the web browser method, you need to connect your wirelessly to the default wifi name of your extender which is TP-Link Extender_EXT. But in this method, you need to connect an ethernet cable between the computer and the extender. In case, if your extender doesn’t support an ethernet port. You can connect a cable between the router and the extender.
Once, the cable is connected you just need to open a browser and type http://tplinkrepeater.net URL or 192.168.0.254 in the address bar. It will take you to the setup screen, follow the on-screen instructions as explained earlier in this article under the web URL method. Finally, your extender is configured and now you can change the location.
How to Re-Locate the TP-Link extender after configuration?
Once your extender is configured, now you are ready to change the location so that you can get optimal signals in the particular location where you want to get signals. You might be thinking, how can I decide what is the best location or how can I identify the correct location of my extender? Well, you can do check this via LED light or make sure you plug your extender in an open area where you don’t have a lot of walls. Always try to place it in a midway or halfway. For example; if you want to cover about 100 feet from the router to the location where you want to get signals. Then, try to place it about 50-55 feet away from the router.
How to Reset TP-Link Extender to factory default settings?
We need to reset our extender if it was configured with the previous router or if we don’t know the login password for the extender. If this is the case, then we need to reset our extender to factory default settings. So that, we can start doing the setup from scratch. Follow the steps below to reset your TP-Link extender:
- First of all, your extender has to be plugged into the power outlet and wait for the power light to be solid.
- Use a paperclip and insert it in a reset hold. You need to hold the paperclip in a reset hole for about 20 seconds.
- It will take some time to boot up and after that, it will be reset to factory settings.
- Finally, your extender is reset now and you can start doing the setup once again.